This is a summary of how the game's save file system works.
There is an integer permanently on the console memory that determines which file is selected for saving data:
- 0 - file 1
- 1 - file 2
- 2 - file 3
- 3 - unused file
Whenever you view or delete a file, the number is changed in order to select that file. Also, the data in a file is loaded into the memory as soon as you view it. The auto-save and pause save features only write data into the selected file.
The data of a file consists of two types: integers and flags. Integers are numbers, used to save certain items like colored bananas. Flags can only be 1 (true) or 0 (false) and determine whether or not an item was collected before or if a door has been opened etc.
- play time
- Golden Bananas per kong/level
- colored bananas per kong/level
- colored bananas given to Troff 'n' Scoff per kong/level
- coins per kong
- stuff from Cranky, Funky and Candy
- training barrels
- fairy camera and shockwave move
- item spawns (Golden Bananas, colored bananas, coins)
- B. Lockers
- warp pads
- interactive items like switches
- blocked passages (gates, ice walls, ...)
- banana medals
- Nintendo Coin
- Rareware Coin